The Tour Guide Training Team at TasTAFE Drysdale in Hobart delivers nationally accredited certificate courses in Tour Guiding each year. Over the past 15 years we have worked closely with industry to ensure our training is aligned with their needs. As a result, our training courses and graduates are now highly regarded by tour operators in Tasmania and interstate, with several businesses relying on the supply of graduates from our courses to fill their staffing requirements each season.
Our students are immersed in a variety of experiences as part of their Tour Guide Training, ranging from interpreting Tasmania’s unique flora, fauna and historic heritage; delivering a thematic tour, cooking up a storm on a camp stove; navigating or bushwalking, mountain biking or sea kayaking in Tasmania’s wilderness.
The foundation of all guide training delivered by the Tour Guide Training Program is to give students the knowledge and skills to connect their future clients (visitors to the State) to the special places and environments they will be visiting. Through completion of our courses, students achieve the following:
- First aid certificates (Senior and Wilderness First Aid)
- Technical activity skills in bushwalking, sea kayaking, cycle touring, mountain biking, river kayaking, abseiling and rock climbing
- Industry recognised certificates/awards for kayaking, white water rescue and abseiling/rock climbing guides and instructors
- Leadership, group management and risk management skills
- An understanding of, and passion for, Tasmania’s natural and cultural heritage values and places
- The skills to enhance the visitor’s experience to Tasmania through the provision of quality interpretation.
Our graduates are respected and sought-after by a wide range of tourism businesses that employ guides regularly. Previous graduates have been, and are currently employed by the following tourism businesses:
SUCCESSFUL EMPLOYMENT OUTCOMES: